Become a better developer by building things that help local businesses around the world thrive
Are you a passionate, energetic technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across a broad tech stack?
Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events, and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun, and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. With employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking, and celebrates success. Our culture encourages employees to embrace change, adapt to new circumstances, and find creative solutions to the challenges we face. Does that sound like a great way to grow your career? Let’s get into the details:
As a global company that works with both local businesses and consumers, Groupon has a wealth of data, which is stored and processed on our ever-evolving data platform. As a Data Engineer, you will handle the full development life-cycle of Groupon data applications. Our Data Engineers collaborate with data analysts, product managers, and other engineering teams to design and build streaming and batch data applications for the business to enable consistently informed management decisions and also provide customers and merchants with a personalized experience.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Analyze & translate functional specifications & change requests into technical specifications.
- Design, Develop, and Implement ETL framework for Enterprise DW system.
- Executing unit tests and validating expected results; iterating until test conditions have passed Translate business needs into end-user applications.
- Ensure accuracy & integrity of data & applications through analysis, coding, writing clear documentation & problem resolution.
- Troubleshoot and remediate issues impacting processes in the ETL framework.
- Modifying existing code to provide defect fixes for existing ETLs.
- Coordinate and Collaborate with the ETL team and business users to implement all ETL procedures for all new projects and maintain effective awareness of all production activities according to required standards and provide support to all existing applications.
- Provide support to all ETL schedules and maintain compliance to same and develop and maintain various standards to perform ETL codes and maintain an effective project life cycle on all ETL processes.
- Keep abreast of the tools, techniques, and components being used in the industry through research and applies this knowledge to the system(s) being developed.
We’re excited about you if you have:
- Having 3+ years of hands-on experience with all aspects of design, developing, testing, and implementing ETL solutions.
- Packaging and release management.
- Working knowledge of MPP systems
- Knowledge of data modeling and designing databases
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment on several projects
- Solid understanding of SDLC, software best practices, and development methodologies
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
- Good knowledge of metadata, and using/managing metadata
- Ability to develop and organize high-quality documentation
- Take responsibility for performance tuning
- Experience with data warehousing and star-schema (dimensional) data models is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix Operating systems
- Hands-on experience in Database technologies like Oracle, Mysql, Teradata, and Bigquery.
- Strong scripting skills - python ( a big plus ), Perl, Shell, etc.
- Knowledge of Big data systems - Hadoop, pig, hive, shark/spark, etc. a big plus.
- Good working experience in cloud data warehouse systems in GCP, and AWS(optional).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with Quality: Your Production code Just Works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members, learn more about our inclusive employee groups, and check out our benefits. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.
Groupon is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualifications for employment, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment are based upon the ability to perform the job. Equal-employment opportunities are provided to all applicants and employees without regard to race, creed, religion, color, age, national origin, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, military discharge status (excluding dishonorable discharge), veteran status, citizenship status, or other legally protected status. We are all responsible for maintaining this policy. Groupon is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at hraccommodations at groupon.com. If you have concerns related to Groupon’s equal employment opportunities, you may contact Groupon’s Ethics Reporting Service Ethicspoint.