Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
Groupon's Mobile Engineering Team is making a clear impact on our bottom line. And with the growth of our mobile marketplace, we are getting more internal and external exposure every single day. Here you will focus on our mobile app, which is at the heart of our story. It connects millions of consumers with local merchants and services that they love all over the world.
A Mobile Staff Engineer is a reliable, cross-functional, individual contributor technical leader. You will operate across teams, across organizations, and via personal influence. They seek to identify and execute on global optimizations and strategic projects. You have a wide base of technical expertise, function as technical leads in a range of domains within Groupon, and make intuitive, context-sensitive decisions within those domains.
As a Mobile Staff Engineer, you will own architecture for Groupon Mobile, and foster engineering excellence as you re-architect the mobile app, challenge the status quo, and take on large-scale problems. You will be part of a team that challenges each other, learns together, and never lets a cat gif go unnoticed. We offer the scope and impact a smart and creative developer like you craves. If you have ambition to work at a massive scale and love owning your own roadmap, we want to talk to you.
Staff Engineers are often responsible for cross-organizational projects and initiatives that do not fit neatly into a particular place in the company.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a great way to grow your career? Let's get into the details:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing, driving and owning the solutions for re-architecting Groupons mobile app
- Identifying and guiding implementation of strategically important mobile engineering projects
- Guiding and assisting with systems design across the entire company
- Collaborating with Engineering and Product team
- Mentoring and developing senior engineers
- Helping with education for all of engineering
- Serving as an engineering role model
- Administering and evolving the ADM program. More generally, shepherding new technical practices and processes while eliminating broken ones.
Must have skills
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with building iOS and Android app development
- Experience as a Lead Engineer (or similar)
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
- Solid foundational Computer Science knowledge (e.g. data structures, algorithms, testing practices)
- Deep knowledge of iOS and/or Android
- You’re an independent, self-motivated, and an avid technologist, you should have strong interest in mobile and an intuition for UX and consumer behavior
- Experience building and managing large scale apps
- Hands-on experience with Swift and/or Kotlin
Nice to have skills:
- Hands-on experience with React Native
- Knowledge of concepts like SDUI
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our inclusive employee groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.
Groupon is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualifications for employment, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment are based upon the ability to perform the job. Equal-employment opportunities are provided to all applicants and employees without regard to race, creed, religion, color, age, national origin, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, military discharge status (excluding dishonorable discharge), veteran status, citizenship status, or other legally protected status. We are all responsible for maintaining this policy. Groupon is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at hraccommodations at groupon.com. If you have concerns related to Groupon’s equal employment opportunities, you may contact Groupon’s Ethics Reporting Service Ethicspoint.