Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
The Ranking Data Science team strives to be the voice of the customer in the decisions Groupon makes. We develop and use cutting-edge data technologies and data science algorithms to sift through large amounts of data and distill it into information about our customers' wants and needs. We then integrate these insights into our automated decision-making systems to constantly improve our services.
Are you ready to test your skills using massive amounts of information to make critical business decisions? You will be responsible for understanding customer behavior and translating that into algorithms and solutions that can impact real-time revenue and our user experience. The team isn't just skilled in math and programming, but has a real passion for business, a dream to go into uncharted territory with bold new ideas, and a willingness to go the last mile on execution.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a great way to grow your career? Let's get into the details:
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Analyze data in search of ideas that improve relevance for user browsing experience
- Build data pipelines that feed into offline and online systems supporting browse experience
- Work with product and revenue management teams to identify questions and issues for data analysis and experimentation
- Use machine learning to build models that can address a few areas such as user segmentation, churn, affinity, and conversion rates
- Support systems, algorithms, and automated processes for data processing at scale, in batch and streaming architectures, on-prem and in the cloud
We’re excited about you if you have:
- 3-5 years work experience as a Data Scientist, Data Engineer or similar role
- BS or MS degree in quantitative field (Computer Science, Maths preferred)
- Strong understanding of applied math topics, such as probability and statistics, linear algebra, basic optimization techniques, etc.
- Expert level knowledge in one of modern high level programming languages, e.g., Java, Scala, Python or similar
- Expert level knowledge of SQL, data modeling, dimensional modeling and data warehousing
- Hands-on experience with predictive analytics tools and machine learning techniques/algorithms
- Strong knowledge of data engineering tools and techniques
- Big Data experience a plus
- Experience with visualization tools like Tableau a plus
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our inclusive employee groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.
Groupon is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualifications for employment, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment are based upon the ability to perform the job. Equal-employment opportunities are provided to all applicants and employees without regard to race, creed, religion, color, age, national origin, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, military discharge status (excluding dishonorable discharge), veteran status, citizenship status, or other legally protected status. We are all responsible for maintaining this policy. Groupon is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at hraccommodations at groupon.com. If you have concerns related to Groupon’s equal employment opportunities, you may contact Groupon’s Ethics Reporting Service Ethicspoint.